This website is optimised for modern browsers.
We recommend using an up to date modern web browser such as - Chrome, Safari, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.Continue to website with reduced functionality
Lemon Curd Mini Pavlovas
- Serves 8
- Prep time 30mins
- Cooking time 130mins
4 large (120 g) egg whites
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
1/2 tablespoon Sunkist® lemon zest
2 teaspoons Sunkist® lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
2/3 cup (133 g) granulated sugar
1 tablespoon Sunkist® lemon zest
1/2 cup (120 mL) Sunkist® lemon juice
4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup (113 g) salted butter, cubed and at room temperature
Zesty Lemon Whipped Cream
1/2 cup (120 mL) whipping cream
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon Sunkist® lemon zest
1/2 cup (65 g) hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites with the cream of tartar on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Add in sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well in between each addition.
- Repeat until all sugar is incorporated and mix on high until meringue forms stiff and glossy peaks, about 8-10 minutes.
- Beat in vanilla extract, Sunkist® lemon zest, and Sunkist® lemon juice. Gently fold in cornstarch.
- Transfer the meringue to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip, and pipe small nests of meringue onto the prepared baking sheet. Alternatively, simply spoon the meringue onto the baking sheet and create a small dip in the middle of each one.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and turn the temperature down to 250 degrees F. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the meringue is a very light cream colour. Turn off the oven, leave the door cracked open, and allow to cool completely inside the oven, for at least 1 hour. Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
- Immediately before serving, assemble the pavlovas. Spoon lemon curd and whipped cream onto each one, and top with roasted hazelnuts.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the granulated sugar and Sunkist® lemon zest together. Use your fingers to rub the zest into the sugar – this helps bring out the flavour. Add the Sunkist® lemon juice, egg yolks, and cubed butter to the saucepan.
- Heat over medium low heat, stirring continuously. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened slightly and reached 170 degrees F. (It will continue to thicken as it cools). The curd should be done when the first bubble breaks the surface. If 10 minutes has passed and it has not thickened, increase the temperature slightly and keep stirring.
- Once thickened, remove from heat, and strain through a fine mesh sieve to remove the lemon zest if desired. Transfer the curd to a small bowl or jar and place a piece of plastic wrap over top so it is directly touching the curd, to prevent a skin from forming. Once cooled to room temperature, transfer and store in the fridge until ready to use.
Zesty Lemon Whipped Cream
- In a medium bowl, whip the whipping cream on high until soft peaks form. Mix in the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and Sunkist® lemon zest. Store the whipped cream in the fridge in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place hazelnuts onto a small baking sheet and roast for 10-15 minutes, until fragrant. Be sure to stir every few minutes to keep them from burning.
- Remove from the oven and immediately transfer them to a clean kitchen towel. Let them steam in the towel for 5 minutes, and then gently shake and rub the towel to help remove the skins. Cool completely, roughly chop, and store in an airtight container until ready to use.
Recipe sourced from Sunkist